Not For Sale

I came across this testimony and got me to thinkin'
Crowded streets, loud music and neon lights. Once again the "Grand Sale" is on in town. It's good news especially for women, isn't it? Since my office is located right in the heart of the city, I thought I'd check it out. And even though I have no intention of spending money, I thought a little window-shopping wouldn't do any harm.

I see people busy looking for good bargains. I see people queuing up at various counters paying for their merchandise. The mall was packed with strangers. Being brought up in the city, I'm not amazed at this sight. Material stuff. Seems "cool" to the world today.

Here is a situation that shows the carnality of the world we live in today. One of Satan's schemes is to deceive the world into pursuing material wealth and the price is their very own soul. Our Lord Jesus himself was tempted into selling his own soul to Satan (cf. Matthew 4:8-9). Jesus was victorious by using the Word of God as a counter attack to Satan (verse 10).

Christianity does not meddle with material possessions. As God's children, we ought to realize happiness does not depend on the wealth of this world. The things of this world will not satisfy the desires of a man's soul. The bible says very clearly in Matthew 6:19-20, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal." Hence, Christ's kingdom is spiritual, and not of this world.

There is nothing wrong in material wealth itself, but if it becomes our idol, or if we spend our lives chasing after it, something is wrong somewhere. I began to understand why Jesus taught us to pray, "Give us this day our daily bread..." and Proverbs 30:7-9 affirms it: "Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain." We eat to live, NOT live to eat. We are redeemed by His blood (cf. 1 Peter 1:18-19). Our soul belongs to God. Let's not be misled by the world into trading our souls to the world.

Well, I didn't go back empty-handed. I bought a slice of chocolate cake from Starbucks. I'm thankful that I don't have to spend a great deal of money to enjoy life. Anyway, what does a man profit if he gains the world but loses his own soul? (cf. Matthew 16:26). We can enjoy simple things in life, because we know God is our provider--He's able to provide our daily needs and certainly He cares for us (1 Peter 5:7). And yes, the cake was delicious! =)

We are not for sale to the world, but we are "sold out" for the work of God! Amen?!

Grace and peace, Elaine Yap
 

 
Print Friendly and PDF
Thanks For Visiting
Copyright © 2015 - AngelicDreams4U
LazsRealm
LazsRealm